Bed & Breakfast
The medieval village of Erice is considered to be one of the most beautiful villages of Europe, is well worth a visit. Almost certainly its foundation was due to the people of the Elimi, who first built a temple dedicated to the goddess Astarte.
The layout of the town at present is the medieval period, the many churches that characterize it are of the Baroque period.
Erice is famous throughout the world for the high quality of the confectionery of origin convent. The craftsmanship is rich and of high quality, to remember there is the production of carpets of erice, built in the traditional frame, and the manufacture of ceramics of erice. Fascinating, and the presence of the Pepoli Castle, torretta Pepoli, and of what is named the castle of Venus, in which there is still present the ancient holy well dedicated to the goddess Astarte. From its belvedere, you can enjoy a 360° panorama of the province of Trapani and the Egadi islands and the gaze turns to the horizon and across the channel of Sicily.
The archipelago of the Egadi is formed by the islands of Favignana, Levanzo, Marettimo and the islet of Formica. The human presence inside of the archipelago and ancient, as is testified by the archaeological site of grotta del Genovese, Levanzo. The Beauty of its habitats make it one of the aricipelaghi the most beautiful of the Mediterranean. The uniqueness of the territory is preserved by the presence of a Are Marine reserve of the Egadi, the largest in the Mediterranean.
It extends on the west coast of Sicily in the territory of the municipality of Marsala, in the stretch of sea between cape San Teodoro and capo Boeo or Lilibeo, including the four islands of San Pantaleo (Mozia), Isola Grande, Schola and Santa Maria and the saline coastal San Teodoro, Genna and Ettore Infersa. The reserve includes the "Lagoon" (from which it takes its name), a lagoon, the largest of Sicily, characterized by shallow waters (1-2 m, and often not more than 50 cm). Following the movements of the sand of the lagoon due to the underwater currents formed the Big Island around two original islets. The birth of the island has closed a portion of the sea in open source, and here, there being no current necessary to spare, the water has become stagnant, with a temperature that is above normal.
This is the first town of the province of Trapani, and the fifth in Sicily by population, and the sixty-fourth to the population in Italy.
The name was given by arabs that called it Marsà 'Alī (Port of Ali) or Marsà Allah (Port of Allah), from which is derived the name of the city.
Famous for the landing of Garibaldi and the Thousand on 11 may 1860 and for the production of the homonymous wine, Marsala, for which, since 1987, is a City of Wine. It rises on the ruins of the ancient punic city of Lilybaeum (Lilibeum in Latin), from whose name comes the name of lilibetani (besides that of marsala) for its inhabitants.
The historic old town, once enclosed within the walls norman, includes several monumental churches, some dating back to the XI century. Has the typical features of the neighborhoods to the urban islamic typical of the medinas, called Casbah (also Kasbah), whose narrow streets are a sort of trademark.
The city had a short life (about 240 years). In this period, the population grew to reach the 100.000 inhabitants.
The state in which it presents itself today, the city is not only due to its destruction by the Carthaginians, but also earthquakes, centuries of neglect and severe deprivations. Selinunte, the foundation of Megara Hyblea, was founded in 650.C. (Diodorus of Sicily), along the coast of the Mediterranean Sea, between the two valleys of the Belice and Modione, on a place that is not affected by previous indigenous settlements. She quickly rose to its highest splendor in the VI and V sec. a.C.; his wealth was, perhaps, due to the domain that exercised over a vast territory. Selinunte is the Greek colony in western Sicily, which is in direct contact with the area occupied by the Carthaginians; all its history is conditioned by this position of the border, until the dissolution of the problem with the roman conquest of Sicily.
The city was probably born because of a social transformation which took place after the norman conquest (1130). The farmers began to populate the villages: he was born and then, as in the rest of Italy and Europe, the bourgeoisie. The city's existence is documented since the angevin domination. The place name Castrum Veteranum was used already before the birth of the city, perhaps to indicate a crossroads between communication routes. In 1299 Castelvetrano is granted to Tagliavia future princes of the city, whose name will change in the time in Aragon and Pignatelli. Between the late Fifteenth and the early Sixteenth century, Castelvetrano became the centre of the possessions of the Tagliavia-Aragon, enriched with many works of art. In 1522 the king of Spain, Charles V raised the city to county, in 1564, his son Philip II was elevated to a principality. Under Spanish rule, Castelvetrano experienced in the Seventeenth century, a period of famines and epidemics. During the Risorgimento, Castelvetrano put in two times (1820 and 1848). In 1860, certain castelvetranesi joined to the Thousand of Garibaldi.
After the 1968 earthquake and the devastation, it was slowly started the reconstruction of the country. However, instead of rebuilding in the vicinity of the ancient Gibellina, it was shooting about twenty kilometers downstream. The choice of the site would be able to follow the logic of the proximity to the new motorway to Mazara del Vallo, if it were not that the ground of the new building was of the brothers Ignazio and Nino Salvo, a mafia boss. New Gibellina was built, therefore, on the territory of the municipality of Salemi, contrada Salinella, following a vote of the city council. For the reconstruction of the town's former mayor, Ludovico Corrao, had the enlightened idea of "humanizing" the territory calling to Gibellina, world-renowned artists such as Pietro Consagra and Alberto Burri, the latter refused to enter his work in new urban context that was being built and created a "Great Cretto" in the old Gibellina, in memory of the earthquake that destroyed it. At the call of the mayor responded, also, Mario Schifano, Andrea Cascella, Arnaldo Pomodoro, Mimmo Paladino, Franco Angeli, Leonardo Sciascia. The town soon became a huge workshop of artistic experimentation and planning, in which artists and works of value renewed urban space according to an innovative perspective.
The date of foundation is not known, but documents show that the city was inhabited in the NINTH century.C. The Greek historian Thucydides tells us that the trojan refugees, crossing the Mediterranean Sea, came up in Sicily, and founded Segesta, call Aegesta, and Erice. These refugees took the name of the Elimi. According to the legend, Segesta was founded by the Romans, who was the first king), the son of the noble trojan Egesta and the river god Crimiso. Virgil reported on the legend according to which Segesta was founded by Aeneas to rest the old, the women, after they had burned the ships a little before resuming the journey.
Important agricultural and industrial centre, is located at the foot of mount Bonifato. It is one of the largest centres in sicily for the wine trade. Among the agricultural products, olives, corn, cereals, melons, table grapes and wine. Breedings present are cattle and sheep. The name Alcamo has its origin in Arabic, Manzil Alqamah, (Alqamah-name of a watermelon-very toxic, Manzil-casale-station), built in XII century along the trade way that from Palermo lead to the coast. Between the XV and the XVII centuries the development of the city is due to the settlement of numerous religious groups that push the expansion beyond the town walls. The city became the Counts of Modica until the beginning of the XIX century thanks to the numerous remains of the noble houses is still visible in the character of the feudal. In 1860, the baron Joseph Triolo of sant'anna, at its own expense he organized teams of Picciotti who helped the "Thousand": it was at Alcamo that Garibaldi appointed the sicilian Francesco Crispi, "the Secretary of state for Sicily". In the monumental field there is great emphasis on the Castello dei Conti di Modica, built in sec. XIV-plan rhomboidal, with two quadrangular towers and two cylindrical; up to today, you can find in the northern part of the mullioned windows in the gothic style. The interior of the imposing Mother Church is rich of important works of art like those made by Gagini and Serpotta and as the frescoes by G. Borremans. The remains of a thermal building of the sec. XIV, the "fontanazza" it is possible to find on the nearby Monte Bonifato. Among the illustrious personalities we mention Cielo D'alcamo, to whom the city has dedicated a square, an important poet of the vulgar literature (half of 200), author of the famous "Rosa Fresca Aulentissima".
Castellammare born as Emporium Segestanorum (port of the nearby Segesta, until the arrival of the Arabs, and its history identifies with that of the city elim. It is assumed that the emporium already existed since at least the beginning of the fifth century.C. Evidence in this sense are drawn both from the writings of Herodotus and those of Diodorus and Thucydides, who, speaking of the athenian expedition to Sicily 415 to.C., often speaks of ships that went or came from Segesta. To make explicit reference to the port of segesta are, however, Strabo, in his Geography, , and the geographer Ptolemy, who, however, gives a wrong position of the site, perhaps for a mere material error in the transmission of the text.
The current township dates back to the SEVENTEENTH century and is divided into two parts: a beam, which tradition identifies as the norman period, but dates back to the XVIII century, and a small square with the church of Santa Maria delle Grazie, in the parish since 1961, and a few houses. Ferdinando II of Borbone chose the area of Scopello, near the homonymous forest, to the rank of royal reserve for hunting, visiting it twice in 1830 and 1859. Because of these visits, being next to the unity of Italy, with the expedition of the Thousand the scopellesi stood by the party of the bourbons, so as to engage in a battle, between December 1862 and January 1863, with the forces of piedmont, which they could not easily settle in the township. The hunting reserve of Scopello was assigned to a state-owned company which had the task to dispose of the assets of the old bourbon state and was bought at very low prices by an affiliate of the mafia in Castellammare del Golfo, which had supported the unitarian cause, and then rivendettero the land at market prices. The tonnara di Scopello is one of the most important and oldest of all Sicily: the first buildings date back to the XIII century, the tonnara was built in the FIFTEENTH century by Giovanni Sanclemente and extended by the family Sanclemente in the course of the SIXTEENTH century; he then went to the Society of Jesus, and finally to the Florio family.
The reserve extends in the western part of the Gulf of Castellammare, in the peninsula of San Vito Lo Capo overlooking the Tyrrhenian sea between Castellammare del Golfo and Trapani (geographic coordinates. The territory falls partly in the municipality of San Vito Lo Capo and partly in the town of Castellammare; extends along 7 km of coastline and nearly 1,700 acres of unspoiled nature. The coast is formed by limestone the quaternary and from calcareous reliefs of the Mesozoic of the dolomites, with cliffs that from a maximum height of 913 m (Monte Speziale) degrade steeply to the sea, interspersed with numerous coves.
Monte Cofano is a mountainous promontory of limestone, with a characteristic triangular shape to peak on the sea, which reaches 659 m of height. It is located on the coast of the province of Trapani, on the eastern end of the gulf of Bonagia. Is included in the municipality of Custonaci, along the coast from Trapani to San Vito Lo Capo. The Reserve area covers 537.5 hectares, of which 325,5 are zone A and zone B 185 or preriserva. In its scope are a small seasonal wetland, a torrential gorge (Gorges of Cipollazzo) and numerous karst phenomena related to the remodeling of the limestone by water, both on the surface (dolines and sinkholes) and depth (caves).
Street: Della Luce, 8
Postal code: 91100 Trapani
Phone: + 39 0923 22790
Mobile: + 39 348928746